Sunday, September 16, 2007

brand new key

Okay so... I was having breakfast with my roommate and we were walking back to the car. And I couldn't find my keys... and she was like... "You need one of those round pom poms on your keys so you can find them in your purse."

PastelsFur Centre-00551

And I asked... "Like the ones that go on roller skates?"

D274PW-2qac002b

And then this came to mind:
I got a brand new pair of roller skates
You got a brand new key
I think that we should get together and try them out you see
And then this...
mfa1

And so I got to the computer and was looking up photos of those things and was going to say that Melanie was singing about Pom Poms and not about sex at all.... but... I got distracted remembering something.

When I was in catholic elementary school, once a year there would be this "presentation" this loud man would come to the cafeteria stage and he had lots of lights and prizes and he would get everyone pumped up. He also had a very large glass box that you go in and money blows around you and you grab at it and try to get as much as you can in one minute... Kids that got to go in the money box were lucky enough to be rich forever...

The most that any kid ever got was like $100.00 but man! $100.00!! I could really use $100 right now.....

So this loud man... who is like Ben Stiller in the movie Heavyweights... his goal was convince a room of 300 first graders to work for free selling magazines to adults.
We were magazine selling MACHINES!
Whenever you sold a certain number of magazines, you got one of these:

LION_smalloktoberfestwuppies11


It’s called a WEEPUL.
The more magazines you sold the more you got...and each year had a theme. One year the theme was music; another year it was wildlife...
This stupid shit sent my catholic elementary school into a total and complete frenzy.
There were fistfights over WEEPULS.
BUT If you worked hard enough and needed little fluffy friends bad enough... for one week... you were the coolest kid in school....

rwb_wuppies_1600x1200

3 comments:

yellow said...

this link was just given to me by this girl michelle who's myspace page i stole the lion and oktoberfest weepuls from http://www.justmar.net/weepul.html
go there!

purple said...

I don't mean to be unladylike and boastful here, but I got my Weepuls for FREE from my grandmother, the travel agent. They had little sailor hats and sashes that read "ROYAL PRINCESS CRUISES" or straw hats and sashes that said "Hawaii". I guess this would fall under the category of "Travel & Leisure" Weepuls, although they more closely resembled the "Weepuls With Hats: Style 2" model.

What we really need to talk about here is that insane magazine-selling racket at your elementary school. That money box scenario is truly one of the more grotesque things I have read about today (and I make it a habit to devote the hours of 2 - 4:30 pm to grotesque reading experiences). I have a similar slip of a memory of something involving wrapping paper. I tried for a while to jiggle this memory out like a loose tooth but it won't budge. You'll just have to trust that I understand.

yellow said...

i sold wrapping paper too! and chocolate!